Christmas Lecture: Meat and Two Veg
Christmas Lecture – BOOK FREE TICKET from https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/iop-christmas-lecture-meat-and-two-veg-tickets-65245599344
“Meat and Two Veg”
Prof Peter Barham, University of Bristol and Dr Andy Chapman, Carbometrics
Like cooking? Or simply like eating? Fancy understanding the science that underpins this? Then this lecture demonstration is the one for you. Hosted by Professor Peter Barham (Emeritus professor of Physics at the University of Bristol and author of 'The Science of Cooking') and Dr Andy Chapman (Chief Executive Officer of Carbometrics), Meat and Two Veg will give a perspective of how a scientist may view cooking a dish and unlocking all the fascinating nuances and observations that can be made during cooking. Along you will sample certain elements to leave your minds intrigued and your taste buds tantalised. This interactive talk includes several demonstrative elements:
- To salt or not to salt? To boil or not to boil? Myths surrounding how we cook our vegetables and an introduction to proper trials!
- Cooking meat like a scientist and you are not ‘sealing in the flavour’ in your pan
- The science of Chocolate – the profound effect of tempering
- Acids, bases and onions – The marvellous Maillard reaction.
- Wine and the importance of perception.
Armed with the ideas presented in this lecture we hope you will be able to make your best ever Christmas dinner this year.
Image Copyright: BBC