FUSE 2019 (Forum of University Societies Event)
• A free event for representatives from IOP affiliated societies (physics or astronomy).
• Hosted by a different university society in the UK & Ireland each year – this year it is being hosted by Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland
• Date: Saturday 30 November, with optional early arrival Friday 29 November.
• Typically 50+ attendees per year, with representation from between 15-20 affiliated societies
• Each IOP affiliated society is entitled to two places for senior members of the society committee per year.
Forum of University Societies Event (FUSE) is an annual event to bring together committees from affiliated university physics and astronomy societies to network and socialise, share what they’ve been doing and generate new ideas. This year, FUSE will be taking place on 30 November at the University of Strathclyde, in an informal setting that focuses on connecting society leaders with each other to network, present your work, and hear from other societies. In order to ensure the greatest opportunity for participation from different student societies from across the UK & Ireland, the IOP rotates its events. This is in the interest of inclusivity and diversity, and the IOP enjoys collaborating with a new student group each year – making every FUSE a unique event.
FUSE typically comprises:
• Evening talk and networking on Friday evening.
• Welcome and tour of local facility.
• Updates from each society.
• IOP outreach session
• Closing talk
Hosts work with IOP to design a unique program. The main activities are presentations from each society committee, lasting 5-10mins, about their society, their successes and failures, with the opportunity to ask questions to the other societies. Societies are asked typical questions such as:
- How recruitment went this year?
- What events you’ve run so far?
- What you’re planning for the rest of the year?
- Anything in particular you are proud of about your society?
Be sure to book early: places are expected to be very competitive.
To register your place for this event – fill out the following form:
Please note you must register by midnight Sunday 24th of November 2019 to be allocated a place. You will receive confirmation of your place shortly after. Please note this event is free of charge. However, participants will have to arrange their own transport. It is recommended they seek funding from their society or physics department.
For more information please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org