STEM Diversity Workshop
In collaboration with PRISM Exeter and Tech Exeter, the IOP South West Branch is running for a workshop on equality, diversity and inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM). The workshop will be led by Kayisha Payne, founder of UK-wide network "Black British Professionals in STEM".
Please visit https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/prism-speakers-july-2019-tickets-55286729095 to register your attendance for this free event.
- Intro (10 mins) - Introductions, background and a bit of context into why Kayisha has been invited.
- Ice breaker (10 mins) - for all participants to get to know each other and set the atmosphere for a safe environment.
- Presentation about Diversity & Inclusion (10mins)
- Interactive workshop in groups - Workshop/group discussion focused on inclusivity, minority groups in science, education and inclusivity initiatives (20 mins
- Final thoughts and close (10 mins)
About the Speaker
Kayisha Payne began her Higher Education journey at Aston University where she read Chemical Engineering. She continued her education at Imperial College London, where she received a Masters’ in Advanced Chemical Engineering with a heavy focus on Biochemical Engineering and Drug Development. During Kayisha’s time in industry, she has amassed experience in the Cosmetic Industry (COTY) as a Process Engineer, playing a key lead in bringing a very popular product to market. She also has Project Management experience working within the Pharmaceutical and Technology team at Mace. Currently, she holds a position as a Scientist at AstraZeneca. Realising the lack of representation of Black individuals in STEM from education right through to industry, as of January 2018, she founded a non-profit organisation named BBSTEM, Black British Professionals in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. The aims are to encourage, enable, and energise individuals in education and industry to widen the participation and contribution of Black individuals in STEM.